Molded Strawberry Salad
This refreshing salad has two layers - a pretty pink bottom that includes sour cream, and a ruby red top with strawberries and pineapple. For years, Mom has included this salad in meals she prepares for our family.
-Gloria Grant, Sterling, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Leaf lettuce and fresh strawberries, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Add strawberries and
- pineapple. Strain, reserving liquid and fruit. Set aside 1 cup of
- the liquid at room temperature.
- Pour fruit and remaining liquid into a 5-cup ring mold or 9-in.
- square pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Whisk sour cream and reserved liquid; pour over top of gelatin. Cover
- and refrigerate until set.
- Cut into squares and place on individual plates; or unmold onto a
- serving platter. Garnish with lettuce and strawberries if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium,