Molded Strawberry Salad Recipe
This refreshing salad has two layers - a pretty pink bottom that includes sour cream, and a ruby red top with strawberries and pineapple. For years, Mom has included this salad in meals she prepares for our family. -Gloria Grant, Sterling, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Leaf lettuce and fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Add strawberries and pineapple. Strain, reserving liquid and fruit. Set aside 1 cup of the liquid at room temperature.
- 2. Pour fruit and remaining liquid into a 5-cup ring mold or 9-in. square pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- 3. Whisk sour cream and reserved liquid; pour over top of gelatin. Cover and refrigerate until set.
- 4. Cut into squares and place on individual plates; or unmold onto a serving platter. Garnish with lettuce and strawberries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC