Minted Chocolate Torte Recipe
Our family has enjoyed this pretty layered cake for years. It's a favorite for many occasions. —Barbara Humiston, Tampa, Florida
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 drops food coloring, optional
- Mint Andes candies, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 3. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, hot water, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- 5. Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/3 cup of filling. Repeat layers three times. In a large bowl, gently combine the whipped topping, extracts and, if desired, food coloring. Frost the sides of the cake. Sprinkle top with Mint Andes Candies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 308 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC