VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 drops food coloring, optional
- Mint Andes candies, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, hot water, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/3 cup of filling. Repeat layers three times. In a large bowl, gently combine the whipped topping, extracts and, if desired, food coloring. Frost the sides of the cake. Sprinkle top with Mint Andes Candies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Minted Chocolate Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p73
Reviews forMinted Chocolate Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2011
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2011
"I intend to do this for my son's 5th birthday, at the end of the month. It looks amazing, and I hope the taste is the same amazing :) I will review again , after the party."