Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk to 175°; stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk in a small amount of the hot mixture to the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream, extracts and food coloring if desired. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Stir in the chocolate chips. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer ice cream to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup equals 244 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.