- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1-3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, combine the eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats a metal spoon. Cool to room temperature. Stir in cream, vanilla, peppermint extract and food coloring if desired. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Reviews forMint Chip Ice Cream
"My daughter and I made this yesterday . She is not a mint fan so we omitted the mint flavouring and food colouring to make plain chocolate chip ice cream. It turned out fantastic and everyone really enjoyed it!"
"Good recipe. Not a custard base, so more ice-milk like than I prefer. Also, when freezing the chips tend to freeze in the same area making some mouthfuls very chippy."
"Nicely flavored and nice color too! I used Andes Mint chips (chopped) instead of the chocolate chips, and it was superb! Thanks for a great recipe! This one is a "keeper.""