Milk-and-Honey White Bread
My dad has been a wheat farmer all his life and my state is the wheat capital, so this recipe represents my region and my family well. This bread never lasts too long at our house.
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add honey, butter, salt
- and 5 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour
- to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8
- minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover
- and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 9-in. x
- 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cover
- loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans and
- cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 149 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium,