Meaty Mushroom Chili
Since our two daughters did not like beans in their chili, I adapted a recipe to suit our whole family's tastes. We all agree that mushrooms are an appealing alternative and go very well with the ground beef and sausage.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat
- until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the mushrooms, V8
- juice, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish
- with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 364 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,189 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.