Meaty Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
My husband is disabled and requires constant care. This doesn't leave me a lot of time to cook, so I came up with this tasty way to beef up a box of macaroni and cheese. The hearty mixture gets extra flavor from corn, ripe olives and zippy salsa. -Charlotte Kremer, Pahrump, Nevada
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons diced pimientos
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped tomato
- 1. Set aside cheese sauce mix from macaroni and cheese; cook macaroni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the salsa, corn, olives and pimientos; cook until heated through.
- 3. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture with contents of cheese sauce mix. Cook and stir until blended and heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and tomato. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC