Meaty Mac 'n' Cheese
My husband is disabled and requires constant care. This doesn't leave me a lot of time to cook, so I came up with this tasty way to beef up a box of macaroni and cheese. The hearty mixture gets extra flavor from corn, ripe olives and zippy salsa.
-Charlotte Kremer, Pahrump, Nevada
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons diced pimientos
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped tomato
- Set aside cheese sauce mix from macaroni and cheese; cook macaroni
- according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the salsa, corn, olives and
- pimientos; cook until heated through.
- Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture with contents of cheese sauce
- mix. Cook and stir until blended and heated through. Sprinkle with
- cheese and tomato. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Editor's Note: The milk and butter listed on the macaroni and cheese package are not used in this recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium,