Meat Loaf with Chili Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional chili sauce, optional
- 1. Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker.
- 3. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°. If desired, spoon additional chili sauce over meat loaf; let stand 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 253 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 686 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.