Meat Loaf with Chili Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional chili sauce, optional
- 1. Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker.
- 3. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°. If desired, spoon additional chili sauce over meat loaf; let stand 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
- 4. Freeze option: Cover and freeze leftover meat loaf slices in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat meat slices, covered, until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 253 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Meat Loaf with Chili Sauce
"I was initially skeptical about fixing meatloaf in a slow cooker but my oven is on the blink so I tried it using another recipe before seeing this one. It was a hit so decided to give this one a try and it's now on my rotation as well. I'm now a believer of cooking meatloaf in the slow cooker unless I'm rushed for time.This is a good recipe as is but I changed the glaze to one I always use. I start with chili sauce but mix in a little ketchup and brown sugar and finish by placing the loaf under the broiler for a minute or two for the best results."
"I really like this and it made great sandwiches too!"
"This is a great recipe! I can't believe I've lived in the southwest all my life and never thought of doing this! I'm not very fond of commercial chili sauces (often made with and tasting very much like vinegar), so I used prepared red chile from Bueno Foods instead. The result was perfect and delicious! Definitely going to become a go-to slow cooker recipe in my house!"
"What is chili Sauce? Is there a favorite kind you use?"
"You can find Spicy Brown Mustard (like Gulden's) with the rest of the mustards in your favorite market."
"What the heck is spicy brown mustard. Never heard of that before. Help please."
"This was a very flavorful meatloaf. I don't like ketchup, so I loved the chili sauce idea."
"Delicious meatloaf in the slow cooker! Who knew. Definitely making this again."
"Very Tasty! I cut the recipe in half since it is just my husband and I and used a 3 1/2 qt slow cooker...I also wrapped two potatoes that I pierced first with foil, placed them on top and had my baked potatoes cooked right along with the meatloaf, what a time saver!"
"Oh, it was great to come home to this delicious recipe! The aroma just filled the house. I served it with 2x baked to which I added dehydrated chives and spinach. A side of steamed Brussels sprouts with shallot butter rounded out the meal. Recipe was simple to make, and I declare it a "winner-winner". Thank you, Robert!"