- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional chili sauce, optional
- Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°. If desired, spoon additional chili sauce over meat loaf; let stand 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze leftover meat loaf slices in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat meat slices, covered, until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMeat Loaf with Chili Sauce
"This is a very good meatloaf. I changed the green pepper to a yellow pepper, but otherwise left the ingredients as they were. I did have some issues with this cooking in the slow cooker, so I ended up finishing it in the oven but that may be an issue with my slow cooker, I'm not sure. Either way, it was delicious and my family loved it."
"1/4t oregano&same for basil? why not more for 2lbs of 90% lean beef I wonder. if I make&little flavor is the outcome but texture is still good that may be a good thing I suppose"
"I was initially skeptical about fixing meatloaf in a slow cooker but my oven is on the blink so I tried it using another recipe before seeing this one. It was a hit so decided to give this one a try and it's now on my rotation as well. I'm now a believer of cooking meatloaf in the slow cooker unless I'm rushed for time.This is a good recipe as is but I changed the glaze to one I always use. I start with chili sauce but mix in a little ketchup and brown sugar and finish by placing the loaf under the broiler for a minute or two for the best results."
"I really like this and it made great sandwiches too!"
"This is a great recipe! I can't believe I've lived in the southwest all my life and never thought of doing this! I'm not very fond of commercial chili sauces (often made with and tasting very much like vinegar), so I used prepared red chile from Bueno Foods instead. The result was perfect and delicious! Definitely going to become a go-to slow cooker recipe in my house!"
"What is chili Sauce? Is there a favorite kind you use?"
"You can find Spicy Brown Mustard (like Gulden's) with the rest of the mustards in your favorite market."