Meat Loaf Potato Surprise Recipe
Meet the Cook: Although I'm retired after years teaching school, my days continue to be full. So easy dishes like this still are a blessing to me. My husband - who's a meat loaf lover - and I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.—Lois Gallup Edwards, Woodland, California
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the crumbs, broth, egg and seasonings; let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 10-in. square. Combine hash browns, cheese, parsley and onion salt; spoon over meat.
- 3. Roll up, jelly-roll style, removing waxed paper as you roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal; place with seam side down in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Combine the first three sauce ingredients; spoon over loaf. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 249 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Potato Surprise
Reviewed Aug. 13, 2015
"One of my family's favorites!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC