Mashed Potato Meat Loaf Recipe
I created this recipe when my children were young and "meat loaf shy". They loved the potato surprise inside and the sauce that has a mild zip. Occasionally, I tuck canned green beans in the center of the potatoes to create a one-dish meal. -Dava Beck, Amarillo, Texas
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in potato flakes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Fluff with a fork; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, oats, green pepper, onion, pepper and remaining salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. On a piece of waxed paper, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spoon mashed potatoes lengthwise down the center third to within 1 in. of edges. Bring long sides over potatoes to meet in center; seal seam and edges.
- 4. Place seam side up in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Pour V8 juice over loaf. Top with ketchup.
- 5. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 278 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 991 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Mashed Potato Meat Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC