- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) picante V8 juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a saucepan, bring water, milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in potato flakes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Fluff with a fork; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, oats, green pepper, onion, pepper and remaining salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a piece of waxed paper, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spoon mashed potatoes lengthwise down the center third to within 1 in. of edges. Bring long sides over potatoes to meet in center; seal seam and edges.
- Place seam side up in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Pour V8 juice over loaf. Top with ketchup. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forMashed Potato Meat Loaf
"I'm a meat and potato kinda guy and this recipe hits the spot!! We love it !!!"
"First found this recipe in the magazine ToH back in 2003, it's simple & delicious!"
"I used a butter & herb mashed potato pouch and instead of spicy v-8 juice, I pureed a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes, which was really yummy. Next time I might use roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Very good recipe!"
"I added mozzarella and cheddar cheese to the potatoe mixture and I put the meat mixture on tin foil and then when I rolled it up I just tranferred it to the dish. Way easier this way!! Very good recipe."