Maple Nut Coffee Cake Recipe
Every time I make this coffee cake for the holidays or church functions, the pan is emptied in a hurry. People rave about it. —Rosadene Herold, Lakeville, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with the sugar. Stir in water, butter, egg and maple flavoring; mix well.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and maple flavoring. Grease a 12-in. pizza pan. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle. Place one circle on prepared pan. Brush with a third of the melted butter; sprinkle with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Pinch around edge to seal.
- 4. Place a small glass in center of circle. With kitchen scissors, cut from outside edge just to the glass, forming 16 wedges. Twist each wedge five or six times and tuck ends under. Remove glass. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 255 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC