Makeover Peach Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Our kitchen crew used a little less sugar, brown sugar and butter, then added buttermilk to replace some of the moisture in this classic dessert remake.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Drain peaches, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Pat peaches dry. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and reserved peach juice. Spread into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cut peach slices in half lengthwise; arrange in a single layer over brown sugar mixture.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and remaining butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon over peaches. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
One piece equals 273 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC