Makeover Peach Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Drain peaches, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Pat peaches dry. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and reserved peach juice. Spread into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cut peach slices in half lengthwise; arrange in a single layer over brown sugar mixture.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and remaining butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon over peaches. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 273 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Peach Upside-Down Cake
"The topping was sweeter than expected...probably because the peaches were canned in heavy syrup. Will try recipe with fresh or frozen fruit next time. Couldn't find my 9" pan, so used an 8" and baked about 15 minutes longer. It was wonderful served warm with whipped cream."
"Very good makeover recipe for peach upside down cake. Tasy and easy to make when using canned peaches."
"This was a great cake. Not as pretty as the picture. Don't know why the makeover cake used canned peaches instead of fresh. Used fresh then used peach puree instead of juice from the can. Would definitely make again but would try doubling the peaches on top."
"This is really good. I have made it several times. The peaches are a nice change of pace from traditional pineapple upside-down cake."