Make-Ahead Burritos Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 5-inch x 1/2-in. strips
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the meat, salsa, beans, chilies, seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Spoon about 1/3 cup off-center on each tortilla; top with a cheese strip. Fold edge of tortilla nearest filling over to cover. Fold ends of tortilla over filling and roll up. Wrap individually in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- 3. To use frozen burritos: Place foil packets on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until heated through. If thawed, bake for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 16 burritos.
1 each: 345 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Burritos
"Very appealing recipe. The burrito mix is delicious and makes enough to feed a family. It's got a kick, even with the mild salsa that I used!"
"I used ground beef and wrapped them in wax paper first to prevent the foil from sticking. Removed from both foil and wax paper wrapped in paper towel and microwaved for 2 minutes for a quick and easy meal."
"This recipe is so easy & good. It's nice to be able to pull a quick lunch or dinner out of the freezer when I'm short on time."
"So easy, makes a lot, and very yummy!"
"Simple, cheap, and good! I omitted the burrito seasoning and chilies, just using chicken, salsa, and beans."
"these were great to be able to take out quickly when you need them!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.