Make-Ahead Burritos Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 5-inch x 1/2-in. strips
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the meat, salsa, beans, chilies, seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Spoon about 1/3 cup off-center on each tortilla; top with a cheese strip. Fold edge of tortilla nearest filling over to cover. Fold ends of tortilla over filling and roll up. Wrap individually in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- 3. To use frozen burritos: Place foil packets on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until heated through. If thawed, bake for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 16 burritos.
1 burrito (prepared with chicken breast, fat-free refried beans and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 846 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.