Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
The only thing that beats the comforting flavor of this thick and hearty potato soup is possibly the idea that it simmers on its own all day in a slow cooker.—Barbara Bleigh, Colonial Heights, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Add the broth, potatoes, potato flakes, bacon, pepper, salt, basil, thyme and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with cheese and green onions. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup equals 212 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC