Lemon Torte Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add the lemon juice, peel and remaining sugar. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. Spread half of whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate. Best made one day before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 195 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Lemon Torte
"Excellent lemon flavor and easy to make. Would reccomend to anyone. One variation I tried to give it some flavor and color variation was to add rasberry sauce to the filling. Rasberry and lemon go very well together. Another variation is to make a chocolate merange"
"Recipe-Bot, Thanks for this recipe,sure sounds good, Wattle."
"LOVE LEMON RECIPES. LIGHT TASTE"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.