Lemon Torte Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add the lemon juice, peel and remaining sugar. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. Spread half of whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate. Best made one day before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 195 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Torte
"Excellent lemon flavor and easy to make. Would reccomend to anyone. One variation I tried to give it some flavor and color variation was to add rasberry sauce to the filling. Rasberry and lemon go very well together. Another variation is to make a chocolate merange"
"Recipe-Bot, Thanks for this recipe,sure sounds good, Wattle."
"LOVE LEMON RECIPES. LIGHT TASTE"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.