These tender little dumplings, with a mild cheese flavor, are delicious and a great side dish for any meat dish.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small curd cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese and eggs. Stir in the flour,
- salt and 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 3 qts. of water to a boil. Reduce heat. Drop
- batter by tablespoonfuls into simmering water, stirring gently to
- prevent sticking; cook pierogi in batches for 4-6 minutes or until
- slightly firm. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain;
- cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and pierogi in remaining butter until
- lightly browned. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 pierogi (calculated without sour cream) equals 150 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat,