Layered Beef Casserole Recipe
With my busy days, I treasure meal-in-one recipes like this. Toss together a salad, and dinner is ready in no time. - Dorothy Wiedeman, Eaton, Colorado
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the potatoes, corn, green pepper, onion and carrots. Crumble beef over vegetables. Pour tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 3. Editor's Note: Layered Beef Casserole can be divided between two 1-1/2 quart baking dishes. Bake one casserole to enjoy now and freeze the other for another meal. Casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 341 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC