- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer the potatoes, corn, green pepper, onion and carrots. Crumble beef over vegetables. Pour tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Editor's Note: Layered Beef Casserole can be divided between two 1-1/2 quart baking dishes. Bake one casserole to enjoy now and freeze the other for another meal. Casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forLayered Beef Casserole
"My husband loves this recipe. I recommend browning the meat with the onions and peppers. Once brown, drain the excessive fat. After layering all the ingredients, I place it in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour. What can I say, I don't like waiting two hours. LOL. Everything comes out great and ready to eat."
"very much like the 4-6-8 layer dnners -- oldies !!! very good !!! -- however , editors note is questionable ?? -- older recipes always called for beef cooked to no longer pink - i would never freeze it like he/ she suggested"
"My family didn't like this recipe. They said it tasted like stew with cheese."
"Very good; great comfort food and it is relatively healthy (I didn't like not being able to drain the ground beef). Will definitely make it again! Next time will increase the amount of tomato sauce or add a bit (1/2 cup perhaps) of water. The beef layer was a bit dry. Other than the Velveeta, a fairly inexpensive recipe that uses a lot of staples we have around the house. Thanks for the recipe!!"
"JO SAID THIS IS GREAT"