Kentucky Stuffed Peppers Recipe
I learned to cook by helping my mother prepare fabulous meals in our large country kitchen after church. The things I like to make most use the fresh vegetables and fruits from our garden.—Lucille Terry, Frankfort, Kentucky
- 4 large sweet red and/or yellow peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place peppers upside down on paper towels; set aside.
- 2. Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes and juice aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the rice, mushrooms, ham, sugar, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomatoes; mix well. Loosely spoon into peppers.
- 3. Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Pour reserved tomato juice over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed pepper equals 375 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 904 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC