- 4 large sweet red and/or yellow peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tips off peppers and remove seeds. Place peppers in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes and juice aside. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add rice, mushrooms, ham, sugar, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomatoes; mix well. Loosely spoon into peppers. Place in an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Pour reserved tomato juice over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until peppers are tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forKentucky Stuffed Peppers
"Very nice summer recipe. Thank you for sharing!"
"Love, Love , Love this recipe -- It is my go to leftover ham recipe.... sometimes its my go buy ham to make this recipe..."
"very good and easy to make"