Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 348 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes
"This is delicious! I didn't deviate from the recipe."
"These are so tasty! Yum!~ Theresa"
"Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter."
"Great tasting and good for yoy."