“Everyone seems to love my take on sloppy joes. For a change, I often fix them with ground chicken instead of ground turkey and use fresh parsley and oregano.” Charlene Chambers - Ormond Beach, Florida
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup turkey mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Turkey Sloppy Joes in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p53
Reviews forItalian Turkey Sloppy Joes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2015
"This is delicious! I didn't deviate from the recipe."
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2011
"These are so tasty! Yum!~ Theresa"
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2011
"Everyone really enjoyed this. Even my oh so finicky daughter."
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
"Great tasting and good for yoy."