Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1/3 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, water, tomatoes, green pepper, carrot, wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3. Skim fat. Stir in the sausage, tortellini, zucchini and parsley. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until tortellini is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-sodium broth) equals 382 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1294 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.