- 1/3 pound Johnsonville® Ground Hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, tomatoes, green pepper, carrot, wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat. Stir in the sausage, tortellini, zucchini and parsley. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until tortellini is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forItalian Sausage Tortellini Soup
"I have been making this soup since it was first published in 2007! I triple this to make 6 servings. It tastes even better the next day! Definitely a keeper."
"Just found this recipe and went to the store to pick up the few ing. i needed.I had some pre-cooked sausage in the freezer so i used that and just sauteed my onion and garlic in olive oil.I also added the zucchini with my carrots and tomatoes because i like very tender veggies.The results were delicious,the house smelled wonderful while it simmered.I am making copies of this to give to co-workers!!"
"I've made this many times and my family LOVES it!! I sprinkle the top of each bowl with fresh grated parmesan cheese and serve with homemade bread and it's a hit every time. My teenage granddaughter even took the recipe to college."