Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
When my wife and I have friends over, we love to serve these sandwiches. This is a convenient recipe, since it can be prepared the day before and reheated. -Mike Yaeger, Brookings, South Dakota
- 20 Italian sausages
- 4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 sandwich buns
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, brown sausages a few at a time; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute peppers and onion in drippings until crisp-tender; drain.
- 2. In the same pan, combine the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, garlic, basil, oregano and salt. Add the sausages; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 430 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,107 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC