Italian Meatloaf Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1. In large bowl, combine the crumbs, egg, onion, salt and oregano; crumble the meat over the top. Mix gently. Stir in 3/4 cup tomato sauce; set aside. Cut two pieces of waxed paper 15-in. long. Place meat mixture in center of one rectangle; cover with second rectangle.
- 2. With a rolling pin, press meat into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle meat with cheese and mushrooms; top with remaining tomato sauce. Roll up meat, jelly-roll style, starting at narrow end; use waxed paper to help. Place meat seam side down; seal ends securely. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Drain; bake 30 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 190 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Meatloaf
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.