- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- In large bowl, combine beef, crumbs, egg, onion, salt and oregano. Stir in 3/4 cup tomato sauce; set aside. Cut 2 pieces of waxed paper 15 inches long. Place meat mixture in center of one rectangle; cover with second rectangle. With a rolling pin, press meat into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle meat with cheese and mushrooms; top with remaining tomato sauce. Roll up meat, jelly-roll fashion, starting at narrow end; use wax paper to help. Place meat seam side down; seal ends securely. Place in non-stick 9-1/4-in. x 5-1/2 in. x 2-3/4-in. bread pan. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Drain off any fat that accumulates; return to oven for 30 minutes. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forItalian Meatloaf
"It turned out really well, but I might add some more ground beef and maybe some more tomato sauce."
"This meat Loaf had good flavor but was to mushy for our family."
"Lots of flavor but stayed a bit runny even with the draining which made it hard to get out. Add extra meat and it works better. Over all this is the best reciept for my family and meatloaf."
"Try making with one pound ground beef and one-half pound ground veal. Very good."
"This is a great recipe. We make this often and kids love it. To make this even easier use a jar of spaghetti sauce. We also use extra cheese."
"It should be renamed Meatloaf Parmigiana! I added some fresh basil on the mozzarella. It also took a lot longer than 1 hour to cook.Plan on baking it longer.Nice combination of flavors!"