Italian Meat Sauce Recipe
This robust home-style pasta sauce from Candi Johnsen of West Plains, Missouri tastes just as good after it's been frozen.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, mushrooms, olives if desired and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti; or cool, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 234 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 851 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC