Italian Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, mushrooms, olives if desired and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti; or cool, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 234 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Italian Meat Sauce
"This is the ONLY sauce I make now and they are right when they say it tastes just as great after being frozen. No more Jar Sauce for me. This is a winner"
"This is an excellent sauce. I made the recipe as is except I eliminated the mushrooms."