- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced stuffed olives, optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, mushrooms, olives if desired and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Discard bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti; or cool, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forItalian Meat Sauce
"All the real Italians that has ever made spaghetti never was like this. I also know there is a sweet side of Italy & a little spicy side Italy. So this dish never has come across our plates yet. It's a little to much my opinion, maybe for someone in Missouri but not for Italy. Oh I've been canning for many generations, any sauce or soups are better 2nd time around or even frozen, unthawed & reheated, due all the spices, flavors has more time to blend together. Good Luck!"
"This is the ONLY sauce I make now and they are right when they say it tastes just as great after being frozen. No more Jar Sauce for me. This is a winner"
"This is an excellent sauce. I made the recipe as is except I eliminated the mushrooms."