Italian Cream Cheese Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until just combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans.
- 3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 988 calories, 55 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 119 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Cream Cheese Cake
"moist,light and a taste of heaven"
"I made this cake for my girlfriends birthday, it was delicious. I can't have nuts but I did sneak a piece for quality control, Everyone loved it, birthday girl took the rest home, next day I wished I had taken a piece for myself, I have a convection oven, so had to watch layers carefully so they didn't overcook, but would I make it again? You bet I would..."
"I need a really tall cake....this says to use 3 Nine inch pans....can anyone confirm that this fills three nine inch pans fully, and bakes tall?"
"This was delicious! My whole family loved it."
"Yum! I made this for a co-workers birthday. They loved it! Great cake for something different!"
"I had previously tried another coconut recipe that i loved but this was was the best!"
"I made this for a birthday cake for a friend and everyone loved it. It was a hit and I will absolutely make again for special occasions (as it's pretty naughty in terms of calories... but it's cake and it's delicious and absolutely worth every bite!)."
"I made this recipe exactly as it was written and it was exceptionally good. Got good reviews from everyone who ate some at the party. Would definitely make again as it's a standout among Italian Cream Cake recipes."
"really 10 stars =)"
"For my husbands and I anniversary we order an Italian Cream Cake for the past 3 yrs & pay quite a bit....I went to a friends house & had this wonderful Cake needless to say I will be making my own from now on!"
"I am back again....I forgot to rate it! And, I also forgot to say that my daughter did make one change and that was she used walnuts instead of pecans. I plan to use the walnuts also and I plan one other change...I am not going to put the walnuts in the icing but instead, I am goind to sprinkle ground walnuts on the top! My own personal preference."
"My daughter made this cake for Thanksgiving and it is DELICIOUS! It is very rich and oh sooooo good! I am going to make it for our annual Christmas dinner that we have with friends."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.