- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat just until combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forItalian Cream Cheese Cake
"moist,light and a taste of heaven"
"I made this cake for my girlfriends birthday, it was delicious. I can't have nuts but I did sneak a piece for quality control, Everyone loved it, birthday girl took the rest home, next day I wished I had taken a piece for myself, I have a convection oven, so had to watch layers carefully so they didn't overcook, but would I make it again? You bet I would..."
"I need a really tall cake....this says to use 3 Nine inch pans....can anyone confirm that this fills three nine inch pans fully, and bakes tall?"
"This was delicious! My whole family loved it."
"Yum! I made this for a co-workers birthday. They loved it! Great cake for something different!"
"I had previously tried another coconut recipe that i loved but this was was the best!"
"I made this recipe exactly as it was written and it was exceptionally good. Got good reviews from everyone who ate some at the party. Would definitely make again as it's a standout among Italian Cream cake recipes."
"really 10 stars =)"