"This cookie recipe from my 91-year-old grandmother was my grandfather's favorite," shares Chris Paulsen, Glendale, Arizona. "She still makes them and sends us home with the dough so that we can make more whenever we want, I love to make a fresh batch when company drops in."
42 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla;
- beat well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Stir in
- nuts if desire.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into three 10-in. x
- 1-in. rolls. Tightly wrap each roll in waxed paper. Freeze for at
- least 12 hours.
- Cut into 3/8-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 350° for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield:
- about 7 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 62 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.