- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desire.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into three 10-in. x 1-in. rolls. Tightly wrap each roll in waxed paper. Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Cut into 3/8-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews forIcebox Cookies
"We loved it but changed vanilla from half tsp to 1 cup because we are alcoholics"
"We enjoyed these cookies, but added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to add to the flavor"