Hungarian Goulash Soup Recipe
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- Dash sugar
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add beef cubes and brown on all sides. Add green pepper and onions; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, paprika, salt, pepper and sugar.
- 2. Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. About 1/2 hour before serving, add the potatoes and reserved bacon; cook until potatoes are tender. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 283 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 920 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.