Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo Sauce Recipe
My husband and I visited Cuernavaca, Mexico, a year ago and had huevos rancheros for breakfast while there. There my husband loved it so much he asked me to cook it for him when got home. This is my version, which is suited to my family's preference for sunny side up eggs, but poached or scrambled eggs would also be good. —Cheryl Woodson, Liberty, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 5 tomatillos, husks removed and halved
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 serrano peppers, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 can (15 ounces) Southwestern black beans, undrained
- 8 eggs
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, shredded
- 8 tostada shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped tomato, sliced avocado and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. Place the tomatillos, onion, pepper, garlic and bouillon in a food processor. Cover and process until finely chopped; set aside. In a small saucepan, mash beans. Cook on low until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, break eggs in batches into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. To serve, spread beans over tostada shells; top with eggs, tomatillo sauce and sour cream. Garnish with tomato, avocado and cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC