Honey-Spice Acorn Squash
"I've made this simple side dish for more than 35 years," says Alpha Wilson of Roswell, New Mexico. Cinnamon and ginger give a nice spiced flavor to the moist tender squash halves. You can use up the extra squash in the two recipes that follow.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 medium acorn squash
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine honey, butter,
- salt, cinnamon and ginger. Cut squash in half; discard the seeds.
- Fill squash halves with butter mixture.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover and bake 1 hour or
- until squash is tender. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until
- filling is bubbly.
- Serve four squash halves. Drain and discard butter mixture from
- remaining squash; mash. Refrigerate squash for another use. Yield: 4
- servings plus about 4 cups mashed squash.