Honey-Spice Acorn Squash Recipe
"I've made this simple side dish for more than 35 years," says Alpha Wilson of Roswell, New Mexico. Cinnamon and ginger give a nice spiced flavor to the moist tender squash halves. You can use up the extra squash in the two recipes that follow.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 medium acorn squash
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine honey, butter, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Cut squash in half; discard the seeds. Fill squash halves with butter mixture.
- 2. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover and bake 1 hour or until squash is tender. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly.
- 3. Serve four squash halves. Drain and discard butter mixture from remaining squash; mash. Refrigerate squash for another use. Yield: 4 servings plus about 4 cups mashed squash.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC