Homemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 bottle (14.9 ounces) dark beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 brat buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 1. Place sausages in a large saucepan; add beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato, salt and pepper; heat through.
- 3. Drain and discard beer. Grill sausages, covered, over direct medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with green pepper mixture and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 555 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1469mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches
"Tastes just like the ones you get on the Jersey Boardwalk! Delicious & messy!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.