- 6 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 bottle (14.9 ounces) dark beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 brat buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Place sausages in a large saucepan; add beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain and discard beer. Grill sausages, covered, over direct medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with green pepper mixture and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches
"Tastes just like the ones you get on the Jersey Boardwalk! Delicious & messy!"