- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. Whisk together next six ingredients. In another bowl, combine molasses, butter, egg white and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- 3. Divide batter in half; shape each half into a 12x2-in. rectangle. Place rectangles 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned and set, 10-15 minutes.
- 4. Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. bars. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 bar: 107 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Hermits
"I baked this for a Xmas party. I added colorful sugar free candies. Saran wrap and a big red bow turned a batch into a present."