- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Place raisins in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Combine the molasses, butter, egg white and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- 3. Divide batter in half; shape each half into a 12-in. x 2-in. rectangle 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and edges are set.
- 4. Transfer to a cutting board; cut with a serrated knife into 1-1/2-in. rectangles. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 cookies.
1 each: 105 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Hermits
"I baked this for a Xmas party. I added colorful sugar free candies. Saran wrap and a big red bow turned a batch into a present."
"I just made these today and they are fantastic! Easy to make, tastes like a ginger bread cookie with raisins and nuts. Great texture, soft and chewy. These will satisfy a sweet tooth without going over board!"