Herbed Sausage Gravy Over Cheese Biscuits Recipe
The gang at my house loves anything with biscuits, and this oregano flavored sausage gravy is the best we've ever tasted! It's a real favorite with my husband and two toddlers.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 cubes
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and oil just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place a pinch of oregano in the center of each biscuit; top with a cheese cube.
- 2. Moisten edge of dough with water and pull up over cheese, forming a pouch; pinch tightly to seal. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in milk and oregano. Combine the flour and water until smooth; add to sausage mixture. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. For each serving, spoon about 1/3 cup gravy over two biscuits. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 700 calories, 37 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,166 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC