A few years ago, I put together a special cookbook for folks who cook for themselves. This is one of my favorite recipes in the book.—John Davis, Mobile, Alabama
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 green onion with top, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon each dried tarragon, thyme, basil, parsley flakes, and pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt to taste, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook rice and onion in butter until onion is
- tender. Add the seasonings; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and salt if
- desired; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until
- liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Yield: 1 serving.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with margarine and reduced-sodium broth and without added salt) equals 284 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.