Heavenly Onion Casserole Recipe
I like to serve this side often. It goes wonderfully with many different main dishes including chicken, beef, lamb or pork.—Maryln Rose, Naples, Florida
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium sweet Spanish onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 to 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. Place in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish or 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Combine the soup, milk and soy sauce; pour over cheese. Top with bread and cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Loosely cover with foil and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 249 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Heavenly Onion Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC