Heavenly Onion Casserole
I like to serve this side often. It goes wonderfully with many different main dishes including chicken, beef, lamb or pork.—Maryln Rose, Naples, Florida
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium sweet Spanish onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 to 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions
- and mushrooms until tender. Place in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish or
- 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Combine the
- soup, milk and soy sauce; pour over cheese. Top with bread and
- cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Loosely cover
- with foil and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake
- 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5
- minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 249 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium,