- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 medium sweet Spanish onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 to 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. Place in a 12-in. x 7-1/2-in. x 2-in. baking dish or 2-qt. casserole. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Combine soup, milk and soy sauce; pour over cheese. Top with bread and cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Bake, loosely covered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forHeavenly Onion Casserole
"This is so delicious!"
"I initially got this recipe from Southern Living and it's always a winner. Excellent with steaks! A must try."
"My family perks up immediately when they see this casserole on the table. I have served it with just about every meat dish in my repertoire."