Hearty Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage links
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook sausages over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion and pepper until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, apple juice, parsley, garlic, basil, oregano and sausages. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 3. Serve immediately or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 7 servings.
1-3/4 cups equals 462 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,793 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.