- 1/2 pound fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage links
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- In a large saucepan, cook sausages over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onion and pepper until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, apple juice, parsley, garlic, basil, oregano and sausages. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forHearty Sausage Stew
"Responding to Sandy and other re the high sodium content: Changing to Apple Cider I doubt will make much difference. My bottle of regular Fresh pressed White House bottled apple juice only has 25 mgs sodium per 8 oz serving, also the same for the Wal-Mart brand of fresh pressed and it's not expensive nor a raw product. 33% Lower Sodium chicken Broth has approximately 580 mgs per 1 cup serving (depending on the brand) as opposed to my regular beef broth at 880 mgs. I think the most significant source of sodium is from the two varieties of regular sausage. I would suggest using a low sodium version of turkey Sausage flavored like Polish and Italian. Perhaps some of these turkey products were not available when this recipe first appeared nearly 5 years ago. There are also easy recipes available on TOH for making your own turkey Sausage which would be nitrite/nitrate free). Hope this helps some of you who also have to watch salt."
"easy to make and delicious."
"Was very good to us"
"sounds great if you don't worry about fat and about getting all your salt for the day in one serving!"
"Way to much sodium (1,793mg) if I can lower the sodium by 85% to 269 mg per serving then I will make it for my family, just needs to be healthier"
"Thank you for the recipe, but we did not care for the sweet taste of this stew. I'm sure some others will like it, we we will move on."
"We made this the whole family loved it"