Hearty Sausage Minestrone Recipe
As a teacher, I appreciate quick and easy recipes. If I make this for just my husband and me, we have leftovers for lunches. But when there are more people at the table, every bit is eaten. —Tami Stoudt, Evans, Colorado
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 3. Freeze option: Freeze cooled minestrone in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC