Hearty Sausage Minestrone
As a teacher, I appreciate quick and easy recipes. If I make this for just my husband and me, we have leftovers for lunches. But when there are more people at the table, every bit is eaten. —Tami Stoudt, Evans, Colorado
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrots over medium
- heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is
- tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a
- boil. Add pasta; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until pasta is
- tender. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Freeze option: Freeze cooled minestrone in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.