- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled minestrone in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Sausage Minestrone
"This is absolutely wonderful! The word "hearty" is completely true to describe this meal. I didn't stray from the recipe since this was my first time to try it. That being said, I can entirely imagine using a variety of spices and bulking the vegetables adding peas and/or substituting green beans for the kidney beans. I am certain we will make this again!"
"Amazing, one of the best minestrone soup's I have ever had!"
"Unremarkable at best. Carrots and celery stayed crunchy which I didn't like. I've had much better soups from a can."
"Delicious and easy to make. I too did not have the seasoned tomatoes so added one large 28 oz can of diced regular tomatoes, 14 oz of ground tomatoes(my hubby does not like too many chunks) and seasoned with dried basil, dried oregano and 3 cloves of minced garlic."
"Great recipe--I tripled the recipe for a big family reunion this past weekend and it was perfect for a windy, cool fall afternoon. I added extra carrots, celery and onion because I want to oomph up the amount of soup. Very easy to make and delicious! I had some leftover that I froze to enjoy another day, so we look forward to having it again!"
"Didn't use the beans, but included everything else. I added a 1/4 tsp each of oregano and basil since my diced tomatoes weren't seasoned. Outstanding recipe!"
"Fabulous!!! Very tasty!!"